Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Marie Horn's letter to her brother Johan Horn the Younger, written upon their mutual "coming out", in modern idiom; dated June 19, 1771 (FICTION)

A letter from my work-in-progress original historical fiction story, Evening Star, written as half-autobiography, half-epistolary novel format from the point of view of Marie Horn.


The letter:

Min käraste Broder,
Det war ju en stor lätnad at berätta om mina känslor, jag wet wäl at jag altid kan lita på Dig, och Du är också den enda Personen jag har hittils berättat om dem. Men jag hafwer tänkt på det länge och jag wet at Du också har gjort det.

Jag litar helt på Dit judicium och wisdom i denna sak och jag continuerar at lefwa uti den goda förhopning om at GUD unne det. Och jag förnimmer uti Din mening at det redan är föreskrifwet i Ödet, och resignerar mig til Din wisdom och GUDS wilje.

Jag håller med om at wi inte borde berätta för Fader om wår Conversation, och jag tackar Dig ödmjukt för Din lilla Proposition. Jag förblifwer til min döds-dag och i all ewighet
Din devota och affectionerade lilla Syster
Marie
Stockholm den 19. Junii 1771.

English translation:

My dearest brother,
It was a great relief to tell you my feelings, I know well that I can always trust you, and you are likewise the only person I have told about them so far. But I've been thinking about it for a long time, and I know that you have too.

I fully trust your judgement and wisdom in this matter and I will continue to live in the good hope that God will grant it. And I perceive in your opinion that it is already prescribed in fate, resigning myself to your wisdom and God's will.

I agree with you that we shouldn't tell Father about our conversation, and I thank you humbly for your little proposition. I remain until my dying day and for all eternity
Your devoted and affectionate little sister
Marie.
Stockholm, June 19, 1771.

No comments:

Post a Comment