Friday, January 15, 2021

Jane Stonor's letter to Thomas Stonor, dated August 2, 1463

Source:

The Stonor letters and papers, 1290-1483, volume 1, edited by Charles Lethbridge Kingsford, Offices of the Society, London, 1919

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=hvd.32044025059650&view=1up&seq=256

The letter:

Syr, I recommende me to ȝow. Plesyth ȝow to wete þat upon Wednesday last passyd my cousin Langforth ys sone browthe ȝow a privy sele, and to all þe jentylmen off þe schyre. So I ressevyd sore akenyn my wyll. Y þesyryd of hym to have kept ytt stylle, for ȝe were not at home: butt he wold nott so doo, but counsellyd me to sendyd ȝow in all hast. And he promysys me þat he wold informe þe kyng þat ȝe were not at home, and he told me þat upon þe Thursday folwyng þe kyng remevyth northward, and purposyth into Schottland, ef þen he com akeyn. For þat oþer party hathe bysechyd þe castell þat was late rescuyd, and þer ys of þam moo þen V. m., as þe Kynge hath word. Other tydynges y can none send: but y beseke þe holy gost be ȝour gyde. I-wrytyn at Stonor þe Tuesday after seint Annis day.
Yowr owyn J. S.

With modernised spelling:

Sir, I recommend me to you. Pleaseth you to wete that upon Wednesday last passed my cousin Langforth his son brought you a privy seal, and to all the gentlemen of the shire. So I received sore akennen my will. I desired of him to have kept it still, for ye were not at home: but he would not so do, but counselled me to send it you in all hast. And he promises me that he would inform the king that ye were not at home, and he told me that upon the Thursday following the king removeth northward, and purposeth into Scotland, if then he come again. For that other party hath beseeched the castle that was late rescued, and there is of them mo[re] than V. m., as the King hath word. Other tidings I can none send: but I beseech the holy ghost be your guide. Y-written at Stonor the Tuesday after Saint Anne's Day.
Your own J. S.

No comments:

Post a Comment