Sunday, January 24, 2021

Kristina Leijonhufvud's letter to Marie Horn, dated April 28, 1773

A letter from my work-in-progress original historical fiction story, Evening Star, written as half-autobiography, half-epistolary novel format from the point of view of Marie Horn.


The letter:

Min goda Marie,
Jag tackar Eder för Edert obligeanta och mycket interessanta bref, och jag gerna upfyller Eder begeran. Jag säger at Johans begripande af Latin är lika godt som Eder, och at I werkligen ären orädd, det ser jag nu. Jag hoppas at I njuten af Sophies besök, och jag försäkrar Eder at jag börjar instruera Eder på Finska från och med mit nästa bref. Genom at känna Eder kommen I sannolikt at förwåna mig med Eder flit och Edert quicka sinne. Jag är och förblifwer
Eder mycket goda Wän (Ystäwänne)
Christina.
Stockholm den 29. April 1773.

English translation:

My good Marie,
I thank you for your obliging and highly interesting letter, and I will gladly grant your request. I say that Johan's grasp of Latin is as good as yours, and that you are truly fearless, I see that now. I hope that you are enjoying Sophie's visit, and I assure you that I'll begin instructing you in Finnish starting with my next letter. Knowing you, you will likely astonish me with your diligence and your quick mind. I am and remain
Your very good friend (ystävänne)
Kristina.
Stockholm, April 29, 1773.

No comments:

Post a Comment