Thursday, January 14, 2021

Marie Antoinette's letter to her brother-in-law King Ferdinand I of Naples and Sicily, dated July 20, 1790

Source:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/marie-antoinette-3241222043


Above: Marie Antoinette, queen of France and former archduchess of Austria, painted by Alexander Kucharsky.


Above: King Ferdinand I of Naples and Sicily, painted by Angelica Kauffman.


The letter:

Monsieur mon frere, Cousin et Beau-frere. La nouvelle que V.re Maj.té me donne des trois Mariages qu'elle vient d'arrêter avec le Roi de Hongrie et de Bohême mon très cher et très Ame frere, est une circonstance trop agréable pour V.re Maj.té pour que je diffère de lui en tèmoigner ma joie, cet évênement aussi satisfaisant pour mon coeur est également intéréssant pour moi. V.re Maj.té en peut juger par tous les sentimens qu'elle me connoit pour elle et sa famille Royale; Il m'est bien doux de pouvoir compter sur la réciprocité des siens et de lui renouveller en cette occasion les assurances de l'amitié tendre et sincère avec la quelle je suis, Monsieur mon frere, Cousin et Beau-frere.
De V.re Maj.té
Bonne soeur, Cousine et
Belle-soeur
marie antoinette

à Paris ce 20.
Juillet 1790.

With modernised spelling:

Monsieur mon frère, cousin et beau-frère. La nouvelle que Votre Majesté me donne des trois mariages qu'elle vient d'arrêter avec le roi de Hongrie et de Bohême, mon très cher et très aimé frère, est une circonstance trop agréable pour Votre Majesté pour que je diffère de lui en témoigner ma joie, cet évènement aussi satisfaisant pour mon cœur est également intéressant pour moi. Votre Majesté en peut juger par tous les sentiments qu'elle me connait pour elle et sa famille royale; il m'est bien doux de pouvoir compter sur la réciprocité des siens et de lui rénouveller en cette occasion les assurances de l'amitié tendre et sincère avec laquelle je suis, monsieur mon frère, cousin et beau-frère.
De Votre Majesté
Bonne sœur, cousine et
belle-sœur
Marie Antoinette

à Paris ce 20.
juillet 1790.

English translation (my own):

Sir my brother, cousin and brother-in-law. The news which Your Majesty gives me of the three marriages which you have just concluded with the King of Hungary and of Bohemia, my very dear and beloved brother, is too pleasant a circumstance for Your Majesty for me to defer from testifying to you my joy, this event so satisfying for my heart is also interesting for me. Your Majesty can judge of it by all the feelings which you know me for you and your royal family; It is very sweet to me to be able to count on the reciprocity of your family and to renew to you on this occasion the assurances of the tender and sincere friendship with which I am, my brother, cousin and brother-in-law,
Your Majesty's
good sister, cousin and sister-in-law
Marie Antoinette.

At Paris this 20 July 1790.

Note: In accordance with the nobility's ideals in the early modern era, kings, queens and other monarchs considered themselves siblings.

No comments:

Post a Comment