Friday, January 15, 2021

Princess Elizabeth's letter to Lady Catherine Knollys, year 1553

Source:

The girlhood of Queen Elizabeth, a narrative in letters, Frank Arthur Mumby, 1909



Above: Princess Elizabeth, artist unknown.


Above: Lady Catherine Knollys (Carey), painted by Stephen van der Meulen.

The letter:

1553.
Relieve your sorrow for your far journey with joy of your short return, and think this pilgrimage rather a proof of your friends, than a leaving of your country. The length of time, and distance of place, separates not the love of friends, nor deprives not the shew of good-will. An old saying, when bale is lowest boot is nearest: when your need shall be most you shall find my friendship greatest. Let others promise, and I will do, in words not more, in deeds as much. My power but small, my love as great as them whose gifts may tell their friendship's tale, let will supply all other want, and oft sending take the lieu of often sights. Your messengers shall not return empty, nor yet your desires unaccomplished. Lethe's flood hath here no course, good memory hath greatest stream. And, to conclude, a word that hardly I can say, I am driven by need to write, farewell, it is which in the sense one way I wish, the other way I grieve. Your loving cousin and ready friend, COR ROTTO.

No comments:

Post a Comment