Friday, January 15, 2021

Princess Victoria of Kent's letter to Leopold, King of the Belgians, dated February 6, 1837

Source:

The letters of Queen Victoria: a selection from Her Majesty's correspondence between the years 1831 and 1861: published by authority of His Majesty the King, edited by Arthur Christopher Benson and Viscount Reginald Baliol Brett Esher, 1907



Above: Princess Victoria of Kent, future Queen of the United Kingdom and Ireland, painted by Henry Collen.


Above: Leopold, King of the Belgians, painted by Sir George Hayter.


Above: Prince Ernest of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, lithograph by Royal de Lithographie à Bruxelles.


Above: Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, lithograph by Royal de Lithographie à Bruxelles.


Above: Maria Christina of the Two Sicilies, queen of Spain, painted by Vicente López Portaña.


Above: Queen Isabel II of Spain, painted by Carlos Luis de Ribera y Fieve.

The letter:

CLAREMONT, 6th February 1837.
MY BELOVED UNCLE, — ... I do not know quite for certain when we leave this place, but I should think to-day week. You must be pleased, dear Uncle, I think, for we shall have been six months in the country next Thursday, as we left town on the 10th of August last, and I am sure you will stand by me for my having my season fully, as you may understand that my Operatic and Terpsichorean feelings are pretty strong, now that the season is returning, and I have been a very good child, not even wishing to come to town till now. We shall certainly come here for the Easter week.

Dr Clark arrived here quite happy last night, bringing the news that Van de Weyer had had the best news from Lisbon he had received since his return, that all had gone off quietly, that Ferdinand was daily gaining popularity, and that both he and the Queen had been very well received at the theatre. The man who threw a stone at Ferdinand was a Frenchman, whom, it seems, Ferdinand had relieved with money over and over again. A fine specimen of gratitude!

I hope and trust with you that there will be less violence in Parliament this year, but much is to be feared.

You will miss my good cousins Ernest and Albert very much, I am sure; I hope you will instil into them to take enough exercise and not to study too much.

There were two questions in my last letter but one, which you have not answered, dear Uncle. They are: 1st, What you think of the Queen Christina of Spain, what opinion you have of her, as one cannot believe reports? 2nd, If you know what sort of people are about poor little Queen Isabel, and if she is being well or ill brought up? ...

No comments:

Post a Comment