Tuesday, January 5, 2021

Princess Elizabeth's letter to her half-brother King Edward VI, dated April 21, 1550

Source:

The girlhood of Queen Elizabeth, a narrative in letters, Frank Arthur Mumby, 1909



Above: Elizabeth as princess, formerly attributed to William Scrots.


Above: King Edward VI of England, painted by William Scrots.

The letter:

What cause I had of sorrow, when I heard first of your Majesty's sickness, all men might guess, but none but myself could feel, which to declare were or might seem a point of flattery; and therefore I omit to write it. But, as the sorrow could not be little, because the occasions were many, so is the joy great to hear of your good escape out of the perilous diseases. And, that I am fully satisfied and well assured of the same by your Grace's own hand, I must need give you my most humble thanks, assuring your Majesty, that a precious jewel at another time could not so well have contented, as your letter in this case hath comforted me. For now I do say with Saint Austin, that a disease is to be accounted no sickness, that shall cause a better health when it is past, than was assured afore it came. For afore you had them, every man thought that that should not be eschewed of you that was not escaped of many. But since you have had them doubt of them is past, and hope is given to all men, that it was a purgation by these means for other worse diseases, which might happen this year. Moreover, I consider that, as a good father, that loves his child dearly, doth punish him sharply, so God, favouring your Majesty greatly, hath chastened you straitly; and, as a father doth it for the further good of his child, so hath God prepared this for the better health of your Grace.

And, in this hope, I commit your Majesty to His hands, most humbly craving pardon of your Grace that I did write no sooner; desiring you to attribute the fault to my evil head, and not to my slothful hand. From Hatfield, this 21st of April. Your Majesty's most humble sister to command, ELIZABETH.

Note: afore = before

No comments:

Post a Comment