Sunday, January 24, 2021

Marie Horn's letter to Kristina Leijonhufvud, dated April 28, 1773 (FICTIONAL)

A letter from my work-in-progress original historical fiction story, Evening Star, written as half-autobiography, half-epistolary novel format from the point of view of Marie Horn.


The letter:

Min kära Christina,
Tanken har i dag plötsligt kommit in i mit hufwud: kanske I wiljen gjerna lära mig Edert Finska språk. Jag förstår at det har reputationen at wara et af werldens swåraste Språk, men jag är allaredo oenig: ty, ſom I weten, har jag redan lärt mig Latin, och det war det swåraste språket jag någonsin har lärt mig. Oundwikeligen lärde Johan sig lite Latin af mig, men han har aldrig gjort så mycken progress som jag har gjort. Denna plötseliga Caprice (äfwen om den är mycket dugelig) är inte af en slump. Jag måste calmera mig för at inte continuerligen tänka på i morgon. Förstån I, jag har bjudit in Sophie at komma hos oß i morgon, och i wår quicka Correspondence har hon berättat at hon ofta kläder sig i Manskläder, och eftersom wi hafwe beslutat at öfwerraska Johan med det factum (han kommer ej at läsa detta bref), det måste hålla sig hemligen tils hon afslöjar det för honom under sit besök. Sophie och jag äro wäldigt impatientes at se hwarandra igjen, det kunnen I knappast föreställa Eder, och derföre måste jag calmera mig. Jag har aldrig warit så impatiente i mit lif, jag behöfwer en god distraction. Jag hoppas at detta bref finner Eder wid god helsa och at I kommen at conſiderera min begäran. Och i förwäg afslutar jag detta bref med det enda Finska ordet ſom à préſent finns i mit vocabulario (!): kijtos!
Eder goda Wän
Marie.
Stockholm den 28. April 1773.

English translation:

My dear Kristina,
The thought has today suddenly entered my head: perhaps you might like to teach me your Finnish language. I understand that it has the reputation of being one of the world's most difficult languages, but I already disagree; for, as you know, I have already taught myself Latin, and that was the most difficult language I have ever learned. Inevitably Johan learned some Latin from me, but he never had as much progress as I have made. This sudden whim (though it is very useful) is not coincidental. I have to calm myself so as to not to constantly think about tomorrow. You see, I have invited Sophie to visit us tomorrow, and in our quick correspondence she has told me that she often dresses in men's clothes, and because we have decided to surprise Johan with that fact (he will not read this letter), it has to stay a secret until she reveals it to him during her visit. Sophie and I are very impatient to see each other again, you can hardly imagine it, and so I have to calm myself. I've never been so impatient in my life, I need a good distraction. I hope that this letter finds you in good health and that you will consider my request; and in advance, I end this letter with the only Finnish word currently in my vocabulario (!): kiitos!
Your good friend,
Marie.
Stockholm, April 28, 1773.

No comments:

Post a Comment